Log in

FR competition 2017 logoCompetition 2017:
En Pointe ~ Symington Pattern #2360

Comment like mad to tell all these amazing makers how great their work is. They showed a lot of courage to submit their work for your judging, and they deserve tons of praise and encouragement!

Voting has now closed. Winners and Runners Up are visible from the links below! Congratulations to you all, and thank you everyone for entering, commenting, sharing and voting!

Winners  ~  Runners-Up  ~ Beginner  ~  Improver  ~  Experienced  ~  All Entries





Peacock Tutu



When I read the theme of this years competition, it was clear to me that this is the impetus for me to finally finish this ballet costume and make a top part for the tutu. While I was still searching for the right shape, I looked at the Symington Pattern, just out of curiosity, and thought it was just right, so I combined the two themes.

I made this tutu a few years ago at University, already thinking about a peacock. With the layering of the tulle I created the view from the bottom to look like an eye of a peacock feather. I later added the top layer, which is a sheer silk that I painted. I dyed the peacock feathers blue, so the quills blend in.

Because it is supposed to be a ballet costume, it is a soft corset. The strength layer is a slightly stretchy jeans fabric and the top layer is cotton. I only put a plastic bone next to the bust and in the centre back, which is closed with six hooks and eyes. The cotton fabric has a pattern of dots and circles, but it was originally white and blue. I dyed it with turquoise, dark blue and ultramarine to get the colour range of the body of a peacock. The straps repeat that colour sequence. I sewed a green satin band on the seams for a better optical connection of the top and the tutu. Finally, I added some lace and sequins at the top.


  I love the color palette! What a beautiful tutu.  
Hide comment form

1000 Characters left

Go to top